Yellow Winter Onions
Free delivery from € 30
- Currently only shipping to the Netherlands and Belgium
- Choose your preferred delivery date
- Sent by PostNL or Transmission
- Track & Trace in your inbox
- The app helps you with almost everything you do in your vegetable garden: sowing, tending, and harvesting.
- If something goes wrong, the app tells you what steps to take.
- If that doesn’t work, you can ask us for advice.
- If that still doesn’t help, we’ll look for other solutions together. Until we get it right.
More about our yellow winter onions
These yellow winter onions are perfect for the empty spaces that become available in autumn.
- Variety: Senshyu Yellow
- Family: root
- Number of plants per space: 16 (or 9 large*)
- Height: 40 to 50 cm
- Planting time: mid-September to mid-November
- Sowing depth: 2.5 - 4 cm
- Harvest time: from the end of May
- Germinates between 5 and 21°C in 10 to 14 days
- Prefers full sun
What is special about these Yellow Winter Onions?
The firm, semi-round onions are beautiful white on the inside and have a fairly thin skin: nice to see.
Planting Winter Onions
Growing winter onions is super simple. You can find the instructions for this in our app as well. In short, here's what you need to do:
- Choose a spot in full sun, or use a MM-mini and place it in a sunny location.
- You can fit 9 onions in one spot. So, make 9 holes that are 2.5 to 4 cm deep and place the onions in them. Then, give them some water.
- During the winter, the plants will hardly grow, so you don't need to do anything. However, provide them with some protection against harsh weather and severe frost. For example, you can use a MM-hat.
- Fertilize only in early spring. Around that time, the days become longer, the temperature rises again, and the foliage starts to grow well.
Harvest when the foliage is completely yellow and starts to fall over: between the end of May and mid-July. Then the diameter of the onions is approximately 5-7 cm.